The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) recently announced that applications for the 2023 Low Number Plate Lottery will be accepted beginning on Friday, June 30, 2023, at 7:30 p.m.
Applying for a Low Number Plate
- From the myRMV Online Service Center, scroll down to the “Plates” section on the left side, and select the “Apply for Plate Lottery” button.
- Applicants must apply by Thursday, August 31, 2023, 5:00 p.m. and, if selected for a low number plate, the winner will be notified after the drawing takes place which will be no later than September 15, 2023.
- There is no fee to apply to the lottery. However, winning applicants are responsible for standard license plates and registration fees.
This year, there are 191 plates available through the low plate lottery including plate numbers: 1999, 1100, 4004, and 4400.
Lottery Rules and Eligibility Requirements
- Only one entry per applicant will be accepted, regardless of the number of active registrations the applicant has.
- An applicant must be a Massachusetts resident with a currently active, registered, and insured passenger vehicle.
- Companies/corporations may not apply.
- MassDOT (Registry of Motor Vehicles, Highway, Mass Transit, and Aeronautics) employees, including contract employees, and their immediate family members are not eligible. (“Immediate family member” refers to one’s parents, spouse, children, and brothers & sisters.)
- Requests for specific plate numbers will not be honored. Eligible applicants will be considered for all plates listed. Plates will be awarded in the order in which they are listed on Mass.Gov/RMV.
- An applicant’s registration and license cannot be in a non-renewal, suspended, or revoked status at the time of entry, the time of the drawing, or the time of the plate swap. As such, an applicant must not have any outstanding excise taxes, parking tickets, child support, warrants, or unpaid E-Z Pass/Pay by Plate violations.
- Online entries will be accepted only and must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 31, 2023.
- Lottery results will be available on the RMV website: Mass.Gov/RMV. By law, lottery winners must be announced by Friday, September 15, 2023.
- All winners will be notified by mail with instructions on how to transfer their current registration to their new lottery plate. Winners will have until Friday, December 29, 2023, to swap their plates.
- Unclaimed plates will be forfeited and awarded to alternate winners after Friday, December 29, 2023.
- Plates will be registered to the winning applicant only. All plates remain the property of the RMV even after registration.
- All information received, including names of all applicants and the list of winners, is subject to release in accordance with the Massachusetts Public Records Law.
- Customers are encouraged to visit the RMV’s website or follow @MassRMV on Twitter for upcoming details on the virtual low plate drawing.
- A link to the lottery event will be made available leading up to the lottery. In addition, applicants will be sent a notification via email.
- The lottery results will be posted on the RMV’s website.
- For the latest RMV updates and information, including for the Low Plate Lottery, follow the RMV on Twitter @MassRMV.