On extremely cold days, take the following precautions to help prevent freezing pipes and resulting water damage:
– Maintain higher than normal temperatures (65 degrees +).
– Turn on your faucets and let the water trickle constantly.
– Open cabinet doors under the sinks. This will allow the heat to warm the pipes.
– Insulate pipes. Insulation goes a long way toward preventing freeze ups.
– Your exterior faucets used for your garden hoses should be shut off from inside your basement and left open (even if you have freeze-proof sill cocks).