Tips for insuring teen drivers:
Insuring your teen drivers can be expensive. How much? That depends on you and your teen.
- Consider driving an older model vehicle with high safety ratings. If you insure a vehicle that doesn’t cost much (doesn’t require collision coverage) you will save a bunch of money. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) offers their top choices here: IIHS Top Safety Picks.
- Get good grades. Auto insurers offer large good student discount for B or better averages. In order to qualify for the good student discount most companies require the student also has a perfect driving record.
- Drive Safe. Accidents and violations for a new driver can turn expensive rates into absurd rates. Practice safe driving.
- Complete a Certified Driver’s Education Program. All drivers under the age of 18 are required to complete a licensed, Professional Driver’s Education program. Driver’s ed will save you 10% (parts 1,2, 4, 5 & 7) on insurance costs.
- Consider registering and insuring the vehicle in your child’s name. In Massachusetts parents are provided 100% insulation from lawsuits arising from bodily injury or property damage claims.
- Take In Control’s Crash Prevention Course. In addition to discounts, Crash Prevention Training has reduced accidents involving new drivers by up to 70%. Some companies will even pay some of the course’s cost. Call us for more information.
- Take advantage of discount programs. Standard discounts programs still apply such as: anti-theft, low-mileage, and multi-car discounts however some companies offer an “away from school” discount which, if your young driver goes to school 100 + miles from home without the vehicle, a significant credit will apply.
- We will shop around for you. We shop our clients with seven different insurance companies. Each company has different rating criteria. Rates can vary wildly from company to company. Have us shop around for your teen driver.
Give us a call, click or visit. We’ll find you the best rates and coverage available.
Thank you for insuring with Johnson & Rohan Insurance.