- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions)
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for chicken
- 1/8 cup minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 red bell peppers, large diced (no core or seeds)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for chicken
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes in puree, undrained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves
- 4 split chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fine diced onions, corn chips, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream
- Cook the onions in the oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne and salt. Cook for 1 minute. Add the diced tomatoes to the pot with the basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 35-40 minutes, until just cooked. Let cool 3-5 minutes, then separate the meat from the bones and skin and cut into 1/2-3/4 inch chunks. Add the chicken to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes. Serve with toppings or refrigerate and reheat gently before serving.