As Hurricane Irene approaches our area, following please find suggestions from our partner company, The Travelers in regard to steps you can take to stay safe:
- Create a disaster plan. Plan an evacuation route in advance and determine where you would go if you were told to evacuate.
- Prepare a survival kit. Stock up on drinking water, non-perishable goods, a first-aid kit and medicine for everyone including your pet. Include extra clothing, blankets, batteries, flashlights and a portable radio.
- Conduct a home hazard hunt and make your home as safe as possible. Secure all outdoor objects such as garbage cans and lawn furniture. Close storm shutters and board up all windows.
- Review how to shut off utilities in an emergency with all family members.
- Locate important papers and documents and have them ready to take with you should you need to evacuate. Protect documents in plastic storage bags if you’re remaining in your home.
- Make sure you have insurance policies with claim contact information, an inventory of your home’s contents and cash.
- Ask an out-of-state friend to be your family contact. After a disaster, it’s often easier to call long-distance than to make a local call.
- Finally, leave promptly when ordered to evacuate. Leaving too late or not leaving at all only endangers yourself and others.