Annual Insurance Review

Annual insurance review

We recommend an annual insurance review. Like a good spring cleaning, visit, phone, or exchange e-mails with us to review your insurance coverage!

It is important to understand your insurance coverage.

We are here to help.

Some questions to ask us:
  • Do we carry adequate liability limits? Limits should equal, at least, your net worth.
  • Should we carry Umbrella coverage? (Yes.)
  • What is the value of our vehicle? If the value is low, should we still carry collision coverage?
  • Are all new drivers included?
  • Do other companies offer lower premiums?
  • If our car loan is paid off, should we remove the lienholder on our policy?
  • Are we getting all available discounts?
  • Should you have Special Items, such as jewelry, antiques, silverware, or collectibles scheduled onto your policy?
  • Do we have enough life insurance?
  • Would you like us to quote your business insurance? Johnson & Rohan Insurance has great commercial markets.

Call us for your annual, insurance review, explanation of coverage, and discount double-check.

Insuring Teen Drivers

insuring teen drivers

Tips for insuring teen drivers:

Insuring your teen drivers can be expensive. How much? That depends on you and your teen.

  • Consider driving an older model vehicle with high safety ratings. If you insure a vehicle that doesn’t cost much (doesn’t require collision coverage) you will save a bunch of money. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) offers their top choices here: IIHS Top Safety Picks.
  • Get good grades. Auto insurers offer large good student discount for B or better averages. In order to qualify for the good student discount most companies require the student also has a perfect driving record.
  • Drive Safe. Accidents and violations for a new driver can turn expensive rates into absurd rates. Practice safe driving.
  • Complete a Certified Driver’s Education Program. All drivers under the age of 18 are required to complete a licensed, Professional Driver’s Education program. Driver’s ed will save you 10% (parts 1,2, 4, 5 & 7) on insurance costs.
  • Consider registering and insuring the vehicle in your child’s name.  In Massachusetts parents are provided 100% insulation from lawsuits arising from bodily injury or property damage claims.
  • Take In Control’s Crash Prevention Course.  In addition to discounts, Crash Prevention Training has reduced accidents involving new drivers by up to 70%. Some companies will even pay some of the course’s cost. Call us for more information.
  • Take advantage of discount programs. Standard discounts programs still apply such as: anti-theft, low-mileage, and multi-car discounts however some companies offer an “away from school” discount which, if your young driver goes to school 100 + miles from home without the vehicle, a significant credit will apply.
  • We will shop around for you. We shop our clients with seven different insurance companies. Each company has different rating criteria. Rates can vary wildly from company to company. Have us shop around for your teen driver.

Give us a call, click or visit. We’ll find you the best rates and coverage available.

Thank you for insuring with Johnson & Rohan Insurance.

Google Reviews

Johnson & Rohan Insurance 25 Years of excellence

We would like to take a moment to thank you for your Google reviews.

As a small business, on-line Google reviews are very important to us.  If you appreciate our service please consider leaving us positive feedback. Click here to give Johnson & Rohan Insurance a review.

Johnson & Rohan Insurance
Based on 32 reviews
powered by Google
Glen Minxolli
Glen Minxolli

a year ago
This was the best experience so far with an Insurance agency for me. Don was very helpful and knowledgeable. Got done… read more

a year ago
Everyone at Johnson & Rohan is so incredibly helpful, responsive, and friendly. My husband I have been very happy with… read more
Paul Reppucci
Paul Reppucci

a year ago
Customer Service does not take a back-seat with J&R. They are responsive, courteous and professional. Can not say… read more
Tanisha Lawrence
Tanisha Lawrence

a year ago
What can I say about Johnson & Rohan Insurance? Thank you to this superb group of men👍👏 My husband and I truly… read more
Kim Lord
Kim Lord

a year ago

These guys are the best! Talk about a professional, caring group of individuals. Always helpful and happy to go the… read more


Move Over Law

move over law





The move over law requires all drivers to move one lane over while approaching a vehicle on the side of the road. If you can’t move over one lane then you must drastically reduce your speed.

This applies not only to Police, Fire, and Ambulances and Tow trucks, but also to DOT workers, Utility workers, municipal workers, and disabled vehicles on the road.

There is no downside to keeping distance or reducing your speed while passing stopped vehicles on the roadside. When we don’t, people get hurt.

“Every year about 23 roadside workers and first responders (one every two weeks) lose their life at the roadside and hundreds more are injured while tending to disabled vehicles.”

“Despite being passed in all 50 states, 71 percent of Americans are unaware of Move Over laws that require drivers to reduce their speed and switch lanes to protect these workers.” (NHTSA)

AAA publishes each state’s move over law:


Drivers traveling in the same direction and approaching a stationary emergency vehicle, highway maintenance vehicle, or tow or recovery vehicle with flashing lights must slow down to a safe speed and, if practicable, move to a non-adjacent lane.


Do I need umbrella coverage? (Yes!)

Do I need Umbrella coverage?

Personal liability umbrella policies help safeguard you against financial hardship in the event of a lawsuit.  They provide liability coverage that sits on top of your home and auto (and boat and second home if applicable).  Umbrellas are available in million dollar increments from $1,000,000 to up to $10,000,000.  Defense costs are also included- on top of the liability coverage and often the defense costs are higher than the damages awarded.  The costs are low and the coverage deep.  We believe the average family should have at least a $2,000,000 umbrella sitting over good auto and home liability limits.  Here are four situations where you should consider even higher limits:

Homeowners with pools

From 2005-2014, there were an average of 3,536 fatal, unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States- about ten deaths per day. About one in five people who die from drowning are children, aged 14 and younger. For every child who dies from drowning, another five receive emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries.  More than 50% of drowning victims treated in emergency departments require hospitalization or transfer for further care.  These nonfatal drowning injuries can cause severe brain damage that may result in long-term disabilities such as memory problems, learning disabilities, and permanent loss of basic functioning (e.g. permanent vegetative state).

Dog owners

Dog bites are the single largest cause of liability loss to insurance companies.  Big dogs bite.  Little dogs bite.  In conclusion even the nicest of dogs can have a bad day- and the damage they do comes back to (ahem) bite it’s owners.

Parents of teenage drivers

The National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration reports that in 2015, 1,886 drivers aged 15-20 perished in auto accidents.  An additional 195,000 were injured in car crashes, so young drivers (ages 15-20) account for 5.4% of total drivers but for 9% of those drivers involved in fatal crashes.  An umbrella policy provides a serious layer of protection between you and all you have worked for.

Families with toys

Motorcycles, four-wheelers, snow mobiles, boats, jet skis- they sure are fun.  But accidents resulting from their use can often be extensive and end up with expensive bodily injury claims.  Again, use your umbrella to protect your home and family.

So if you are taking the time to read this and don’t have an umbrella policy, or you think your policy might have limits too low, give us a call to review.  (781) 224-0909.

Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays from Johnson & Rohan Insurance

Happy Holidays from your friends at Johnson & Rohan Insurance.

2020 has been, well, a tough year.

Here’s to the hope that there are better days ahead and a return to “normalcy.”

To all of our clients we offer BIG THANKS.

Thank you for insuring with us.

“Auld lang syne” translates literally to “old long since” and means something akin to “times gone by.”

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we’ll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.
Happy New Year.
Johnson & Rohan Insurance will be open on Christmas Eve from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, closed on Christmas Day and open on Saturday, December 26th from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm.

If you’re looking to report a claim during off hours. You can do so 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week by clicking or calling:

Travelers: 1-800-252-4633
Safety Insurance: 800-951-2100
Vermont Mutual: 1-800-435-0397
Mass Property: 1-800-392-6108
Progressive Insurance: 1-800-274-4499
Bristol-West: 1-800-272-7865
Swyfft Insurance: 1-877-799-3389
Hagerty Insurance: 1-877-922-9701
Utica First Insurance: 1-800-456-2139
MAPFRE/Commerce: 1-866-351-2548
Grundy Insurance: 866-338-4006

Antique Plates

Antique Plates

What is an antique car or truck? Under MA antique license plate rules, an antique vehicle is a car manufactured at least 25 years ago, which is maintained for use in exhibitions, parades and other public events. If you are interested in Antique Plates there are certain rules to be aware of.

The Registry of Motor Vehicles designates antique plates as “restricted.” “Restricted to those vehicles over 25 years of age, restricted to test drives, movement of vehicles to and from repair locations, and public functions such as parades.”

Steps in the Massachusetts Registration Process

  • Fill out and submit an insurance company stamped, RTA form.
  • Submit previous, signed over, certificate of title.

Fees to Register an Antique Vehicle in Massachusetts

The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles requires original, signed over title, antique vehicle application, RTA form (Registration and Title Application) and check payable to the “RMV.” Costs should be: $75.00 for new MA title, $50.00 for plates and 6.25% sales tax.The Registry of Motor Vehicles charges an annual fee of $50.00 for antique plates. The also charge $50.00 for year of manufacture plates.

VEHICLES that qualify

  • Classic Cars
  • Hot Rods
  • Antique Cars
  • Modified Cars
  • Street Rods
  • Exotic Cars
  • Lowrider
  • Classic Motorcycles

Rules to follow

You can drive your car:

  • Holidays
  • Parades
  • Weekends

Your collectible car needs to be and must be stored inside in a secure locked garage or structure.

Insurance companies will not cover damage to antique vehicles done due to racing.

Antique plates application

Massachusetts Junior Operator Law

Massachusetts Junior Operator Law

Getting your driver’s license is an exciting, and sometimes scary, event for the new driver and the new driver’s family. Operating a motor vehicle is serious business and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has a strict Junior Operator Law for new drivers.

As a refresher course:

Any motor vehicle operator or motorcyclist between the ages of 16 1/2 and 18 is considered a Junior Operator. The Junior Operator Law has several requirements and restrictions that significantly affect the operation of a motor vehicle by a person who has a Junior Operator’s License (JOL). The basic purpose of the law is to provide new drivers supervised opportunities in which to develop good driving skills, while keeping those drivers free of the possible distractions caused by friends under age 18 who are present while the drivers are behind the wheel.

Following, from the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles Driver’s Manual, we offer Massachusetts Junior Operator License Restrictions:

  • You may not operate a motor vehicle within the first six months after receiving your JOL while any person under age 18 is in the vehicle (other than you or an immediate family member), unless you are accompanied by a person who is at least 21 years old, has at least one year of driving experience, holds a valid driver’s license form Massachusetts or another state and is occupying a seat beside you.

General Rule: The passenger restriction that applies to the Junior Operator (Under age 18) is lifted once the Junior Operator completes the six-month period or you reach age 18, whichever occurs first.

The six-month passenger restriction period will stop running, temporarily, during any suspension. When your JOL is reinstated, you will still have to complete the remainder of the six-month restriction period that existed at the beginning of the suspension period, unless you have already turned 18.

  • As the holder of a Junior Operator License (JOL), you may not operate a motor vehicle between 12:30 a.m and 5:00 a.m. unless you are accompanied by one of your parents or your legal guardian. If you are found operating a motor vehicle in violation of this restriction, you may be charged with operating a motor vehicle without being licensed. This is a criminal violation.
  • If you violate the passenger restriction or the night restriction, you will be subject to a license suspension of 60 days for a first offense, 180 days for a second offense, and one year for subsequent offenses. For a second or subsequent offense, you will also be required to complete a Driver Attitudinal Retraining course. The law requires the Registrar to impose this suspension in addition to any other penalty, fine, suspension, revocation, or requirement that may be imposed in connection with a violation committed at the time you were violating the passenger or night restriction.
  • You may not operate a motor vehicle that requires a commercial driver’s license (CDL).
  • You will be suspended for one year if you are under 18 when you have committed certain driving offenses and alcohol or drugs were involved (180 days if age 18 to 21), in addition to any penalty assessed by a court or other law.
  • You will be ineligible for a full license until you have completed the period of suspension imposed while operating with a JOL and you reach age 18.
  • You will face additional suspension periods of one year for a first drag racing offense and three years for a subsequent offense, you will be suspended for one year.

Call or click us at Johnson & Rohan Insurance if you would like more information on Massachusetts insurance or the Massachusetts Junior Operator Law.

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving 2020



Although Thanksgiving celebrations may look a little different this year, one thing remains: we are thankful for all of our clients. Happy Thanksgiving.

If you’re looking to report a claim during off hours. You can do so 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week by clicking or calling:

Travelers: 1-877-425-2466
Safety Insurance: 866-906-5016
Vermont Mutual: 1-800-435-0397
Mass Property: 1-800-392-6108
Progressive Insurance: 1-800-776-4737
Bristol-West: 1-800-272-7865
Swyfft Insurance: 1-877-799-3389
Hagerty Insurance: 1-877-922-9701
Utica First Insurance: 1-800-456-2139
MAPFRE/Commerce: 1-866-351-2548
Grundy Insurance: 866-338-4006

Please note, our office will be closed on Thursday, November 26th. Normal business hours will resume on Monday, November 30th.

Thank you for insuring with Johnson & Rohan Insurance.



Covid and the Homeowner Policy

Covid and the Homeowner Policy

Covid and the Homeowner Policy: what you need to know

The coronavirus pandemic won’t affect your homeowners insurance too much, but there are a few coverages that could be impacted because of the temporary lifestyle change. Companies are also offering flexible payment options due to financial hardship.


• The coronavirus won’t affect your ability to acquire homeowners insurance or re-shop your current policy for lower rates
• The coronavirus won’t directly affect your homeowners insurance coverage or servicing of your policy
• With kids home from school and parents working from home, your liability coverage and business property coverage may come in handy
• Expect a more “remote” insurance claim process

Homeowners insurance is a type of financial protection that covers your home, personal belongings, and additional living expenses in the event the house is damaged or burglarized. It also covers legal expenses and medical payments if you’re held liable for an accident.
If you’re reading this, you may be wondering how, if at all, the coronavirus, or COVID-19 pandemic impacts that coverage. The deadly virus has penetrated nearly every corner of the globe and impacted just about every industry — namely certain kinds of financial protections like travel, life, auto, and disability insurance. But is your homeowners insurance affected?

The answer is, sort of. The changing circumstances definitely highlight the need for existing components in your policy like liability coverage; in addition to coverage enhancements like a home business coverage endorsement if you moved your business to your house. From a claims standpoint, insurance companies may no longer send an adjuster to your home, so you may see a greater reliance on photo and video claim evidence, at least in the near future.

Covid and the Homeowner Policy: How the coronavirus impacts new homebuyers who need coverage

The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted certain aspects of the homebuying process. On one hand, if you’re looking to buy a home and have decent job security, now may be as good a time as ever to apply for a mortgage — the crisis has indirectly led to some of the lowest interest rates in history. On the other hand, millions are now unemployed and may be unable to afford mortgage or homeowners insurance payments.
Many lenders and loan servicers are offering payment suspensions and extensions to accommodate borrowers.
Similarly, homeowners insurance companies are offering payment solutions of their own for existing policyholders and new home purchasers who need coverage to satisfy mortgage requirements but can’t afford to pay the monthly or annual premium because of COVID-19–related financial hardship. If you’re shopping around for coverage and find a policy you like but you’re unable to afford the quoted premium up front, don’t let that be the end of it — reach out to the insurance company and see if they offer any payment accommodations for those impacted by the current crisis.

The importance of social distancing also may impact home inspections — one of the final steps after you get approved for homeowners insurance.
Normally, the insurance company will send over an inspector, or adjuster, to perform at least an exterior inspection of the home to check on its condition for the purpose of coverage or rate adjustments. But in some cases, an interior inspection will also be required, especially if the insured property is older or has a history of water damage or mold-related loss.
Insurance companies appear to be continuing interior inspections, but they’re also giving social-distance conscious customers the option to request an exterior-only inspection. Keep in mind that you’ll still be covered if you decline an interior inspection — it’ll simply be made up at a later (and safer) date.

Covid and the Homeowner Policy: How the coronavirus could affect your homeowners insurance coverage

Since your home and personal belongings can’t catch the coronavirus, the property coverage in your policy won’t be impacted. However, the current reality of working from home and kids staying home from school could necessitate more liability coverage or a home business endorsement for your policy.

Additionally, if you’re paying for additional home-sharing coverage for a room or rental property that you’re no longer able to rent out on a short-term rental app like Airbnb or VRBO due to the pandemic, consider pausing that coverage so you’re not paying for something you’re not using. Contact your insurance agent and ask them to put a pause on that coverage.

Personal liability coverage

Personal liability coverage is the part of your home insurance policy that reimburses you for legal expenses in the event that you or any members of your household cause an injury or damage to someone’s property. This coverage is particularly crucial for homeowners with kids or dogs, as any injury or property damage caused by dependents or pets is your responsibility.
With the coronavirus pandemic keeping so many kids home from school and potentially wandering about the neighborhood, it’s especially crucial to be mindful of attractive nuisances — like a pool or leashed dog on your property — in the event that a curious child makes their way onto your property.
If a guest or passerby is injured on your property, you may be covered by personal liability coverage, but only up to the limit in your policy. Be sure to have at least $300,000 in liability coverage. Additionally, if you have a dog, check with your insurance company to see if its particular breed is covered.