Driving during winter here in Massachusetts can be one of the most difficult and hazardous situations for both new and experienced drivers.
Johnson & Rohan Insurance offers some winter driving tips:
- Reduce your speed according to road conditions. Drive cautiously and accelerate gently.
- Never lock your brakes on icy roads. You will lose steering control. If you do skid, try to remember to turn into the direction of the skid.
- Increase the space between your vehicle and others. You need more distance to stop safely on slippery surfaces.
- Make sure your windshield washer has sufficient fluid and that your wipers and defroster are in good condition.
- Before driving, completely remove ice and snow from your vehicle. Clear all windows, wipers, headlights, and brake lights.
- Keep your fuel tank at least half full to prevent the fuel line from freezing.
- Keep a sleeping bad or blanket, flashlight, water, high calorie food that will not spoil, and a shovel in your trunk for emergencies.
- Best tip of all: Don’t Drive!
From all of us at Johnson & Rohan Insurance: Stay Safe Massachusetts!